MOVIE REVIEW: Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)MOVIE REVIEW: Buried (2010)MOVIE REVIEW: Green Lantern (2011)MOVIE REVIEW: Hobo with a Shotgun (2011)

Saturday, June 11, 2011

COMIC REVIEW: Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown #1


I only need to tell you this one line from Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown to explain exactly how bad ass this comic is. “These ‘men’ will soon feel the sweet kiss of the archangel Michael’s cold blade across their rodent necks.”

With the recent news that DC is re-launching their entire line up in September, one of the titles that has piqued my interest is Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE, a book being written by none other than Sweet Tooth scribe, Jeff Lemire. I’m going to sadly admit that I have not read Sweet Tooth. I have however, have heard a lot of good things about it. So, when I saw that Jeff Lemire was writing the Frankenstein Flash Point story, I jumped on it to see if I would like the new book come September.

And boy, am I glad I did.

Jeff Lemire masterfully weaves a tale in twenty pages that has Frankenstein being revived (there is evil in the world) and then being recruited by the Americans to help kill Nazis. He then becomes part of the , Creatures of the Unknown. In the span of twenty pages Frankenstein leads the creatures into Germany, kicks more ass than any one man should and falls victim to a horrible twist. And despite all that action, Jeff still had enough time to flesh out enough characterization for me to actually care about them and left me desperately wanting to see what happens in issue two.
Creature Commandos, Challengers of the Unknown

The artist, Ibraim Roberson, does a fantastic job on this book. Considering that the book is based on a rag tag group of monsters (werewolf, creature of the lagoon, bat like vampire and of course, Frankenstein) Ibraim does a great job of showing human emotion on their faces. I fell so instantly in love with his art on this book that it is somewhat disappointing that he won’t be on the ongoing title come September. So, I’ll be enjoying the rest of his run on this mini series.

My only complaint on the book was because the story is set in an alternate reality, we’re not going to get the ‘full’ story. This is a universe that I’d love to see more of, but I know it’s going to end. So, the pacing is going to be fast. I’d love to see a fully fleshed out world, but they have a story to tell. Again, this is a very minor complaint.

Verdict: LOVED IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment