MOVIE REVIEW: Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)MOVIE REVIEW: Buried (2010)MOVIE REVIEW: Green Lantern (2011)MOVIE REVIEW: Hobo with a Shotgun (2011)

Thursday, July 21, 2011

COMIC REVIEW: Herc # 5 *****

Herc #5

“Oh my god.  I’m going to die with nerds.” 

And with one line, I giggled way too much and knew that Herc #5  was my favorite book of the week.  

Fear itself has actually turned into a fun little event series running through the Marvel Universe.  I always fear that universe spanning story lines will fall flat on its face, but when you have the right creators on books, they can take anything and spin it into a wonderfully woven tale of awesome sauce. 




You may remember me gushing last week about Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente and their style of action and humor.  Well, again in Herc #5 not only they deliver the goods, they may have wrote my favorite line ever (please read the first line again, if it was too subtle the first time around).

Picking up where we left off last issue, Herc is being tormented by his worshippers praying to and only he can hear.  All hell is breaking loose in Brooklyn with people turning into beasts and animals turning into monsters.  Kyknos is on the verge of resurrecting his father, Ares, the god of war.  Second rate villains are attempting to help Herc.  And even TRAINS are turning into caterpillar like monsters.  This book has it all!

And along the way, Herc prays up to Zeus asking for help, only to be brought a message of redemption and the ability to return home as a god by Hermes.  In good super hero form (really, if this is a spoiler, you haven’t been reading the book) Herc says no and takes the battle directly to Kyknos! 

The end of the book we finally learn who Herc’s worshippers are and we learn the extent to which Herc will defeat Kyknos.  It was a twist that I can’t wait to read next month.  I seriously hope these two men never burn out on Herc because I don’t know if I can handle personally if they ever do decide to move on.

VERDICT: ***** out of five

No comments:

Post a Comment