MOVIE REVIEW: Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)MOVIE REVIEW: Buried (2010)MOVIE REVIEW: Green Lantern (2011)MOVIE REVIEW: Hobo with a Shotgun (2011)

Monday, July 18, 2011

COMIC REVIEW: July 13 Quick Hit List

Punisher Max #15
Along with my weekly full review (as seen by here), I’ll be giving you all an extra gift each week of some quick hits on ten randomly selected books, I additionally read from the week.  They are not full reviews but just some initial impressions of what I was thinking while reading them.  Some weeks, there may not even be ten but I’ll never go over ten. 
So, without further ado, I give you my quick initial impressions of ten randomly selected books.



Captain America #1
-If you like Brubaker’s Cap, then you’ll like this.  As for the rest of us, or those who hasn’t followed along for years, it was kind of a boring story.  It does an okay job setting up the next couple issues.  But, after reading the last issue of Cap in previous series, and now this one, I may drop the book all together.
-Verdict: Meh

FF #6
-My first dive into a Hickman FF and it left my braining hurting.  I love sci-fi and I love mind bending, reality warping stories.  I appreciate a writer who can make me think about what is going on.  A lot of comics do a great job telling a story and you can turn your mind off and enjoy it.  Then there are those, like Jonathan Hickman who make you stop, pause and actually think about what you just read. 
-Verdict: Liked it

Green Lantern #67
-A nice quick, clean finish to this epically long story it seems.  I did like the ending even though it was anticlimactic (considering what actually happened).  Will be interesting to see how it comes about with the reboot in September.  Even more interesting considering what actually happened to Sinestro.  This book has a lot set up for it in the coming months.
-Verdict: Liked it

Red Wing #1
-Again, another Jonathan Hickman title and yet another small headache was induced trying to keep up with the story.  Hickman is definitely filling the void of older Warren Ellis stuff.  I quite like it indeed.  But, I’m starting to wonder, is this all he has to offer?  I’m new to Hickman, but after reading S.H.I.E.L.D a few weeks ago, and reading FF same week as this one, they are all out there.  But, it’s all good as long as I like it.
-Verdict: Liked it

Batgirl #23
-First Batgirl comic I’ve ever read.  I didn’t really know what was going on, but I’m trying to prepare for September and decided to give it a try.  Not really into it, but I’ll keep working on it because I owe it to Gail Simone and what she has in store for us all soon.
-Verdict: Didn’t Like it

Booster Gold #46
-First Booster Gold title in a long time and it was actually enjoyable.  I like Booster.  And I like the idea of a brain controlled Doomsday in the Flashpoint universe.  So, I gave it a whirl.  Interestingly enough, there was a woman with Rogue (of X-Men fame) like abilities to absorb/replicate powers by touch.  I did find it odd (and maybe I’m just not up to Booster’s abilities) that she was able to replicate a flight ring and wrist lasers.  Not natural powers, but artificial man made powers.  Anyway, I’ll keep up with it while it is at least entertaining.
-Verdict: Liked it

Punisher Max #15
-So good.  Jason Aaron really is one of my favorite writers.  And I LOVE Steve Dillon’s art.  This is the first book in weeks that’s made me take a double look at the art.  I just love it.  This should be on everybody’s read list.  Aaron is doing Garth Ennis proud and this should be the only way a Punisher story is told.
Verdict: LOVED it

New Mutants #27
-An action packed issue with Dani Moonstar going toe to toe with Sugar Man.  This was a fun quick read and nice way to wrap up the story line.  I really liked how even though the main marvelverse could be done with Sugar Man, Moonstar brings him back from his own apocalyptic universe just to bring him to justice.  That was kind of awesome.
-Verdict: Loved it

BPRD Hell on Earth Monsters #1
-Here is my walk / admittance of shame; I’ve never read a Hellboy or BPRD book until this issue.  So, I’m not familiar with the character.  But I really like this book and liked how it ended so I’m going to try my best to read each one from now on.
-Verdict: Liked it

30 Days of Night Night Again #3
-Heh, I should be smacked sometimes.  I bought this not knowing anything about it.  Didn’t know it was a miniseries.  I haven’t read the first two issues, but I think the story tellers did a good enough job explaining and I know where they are going for the wrap up in issue #4.  I do like Sam Keith art though.  So, that kept me going.
-Verdict: Meh

No comments:

Post a Comment